What I do?
So I’m currently…
- Setup and leading the Computer Science team at Mangahigh.com, developing an adaptive learning platform that is designed to teach children the precursor coding skills and coding constructs. We launched version 1 at BETT 2019.
- Studying for a part-time PhD in Computer Science Education at Queen Mary University of London. I’m researching the use of concept mapping techniques in Computing education.
In my past lives, I’ve…
- Contribute to the Department for Education working groups for both EdTech and education text book guidance.
- Co-founded an online market place, resource repository, planning and assessment platform which we successfully sold to investors in June 2017, and was renamed to Magpie.Education
- Setup and lead the Computer Science Initial Teacher (secondary) Education programme at Harris Academy Teaching School.
- Co-authored and edited the best-selling Hodder Education Compute-IT series.
- Played a leading role in developing the English 2014 National Curriculum Computing Programmes of Study.
- Setup the Computing At School Master Teacher programme. Developed it from just an idea into a network of 10 Regional Centres with 380+ active teachers.
- Founding board member of the Computing At School group.
- Founded the internationally recognised Digital Schoolhouse, a school based Computer Science outreach programme. It is now delivered by UKIE and powered by Sony Play Station and Saga in 30+ satellite schools across England and Northern Ireland.
- Worked at Langley Grammar School leading the introduction of Computing across all school key stages several years ahead of government changes.
- First class bachelors (honours) student in Computer Information Systems Design at Kingston University, Surrey, England.
In 2016, I was awarded fellowships of BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, for my work that gained me national and international recognition via the Royal Society Report publications in 2012 and 2017, winning a Times Educational Supplement (TES) Award in 2013, Informatic Europe: Best practice in Education Award in 2014, and BETT Award Finalist recognitions in 2015, 2016 and 2017.